The core of our training program, Introduction to Home Visits prepares and certifies educators to do Parent Teacher Home Visits.
Time: 3 hours
- At least two of the following three partners involved in planning: school district, teachers’ union, community organization.
- Funding secured for training and visits (see How Do We Pay for This?)
- Conference call with PTHV staff to tailor training/launch to local needs
Objective: At the end of the session, participants will:
- Understand the model and why it is effective
- Be able to make an informed choice about participating in home visits
- Be prepared and certified to do home visits
- Take next steps to launch home visits
- Have a date and a plan for future action
Audience: Teachers, staff and administration of K-12 schools, plus community leaders or other stakeholders (20-60 participants).
Led by: a team of PTHVP members, including parents and teachers, who directly participate in the practice of this model and reflect the grade levels and/or the community demographics.
Content: This interactive session centers on building the capacity of educators to effectively build meaningful relationships with the families of their students, starting with a voluntary home visit. Learn our distinct 5 non-negotiable core practices and how and why they lead to success.
- the research behind the model
- logistics, step by step
- skill-building and practice in engaging families
- overcoming barriers (money, time, fear)
- culture and cross-cultural connection
- taking it back to the classroom
Fee: $3,500. Includes preparation, trainer time, materials and three hours of post-training consulting. Trainer travel and lodging expenses are billed separately.